The Monastery Moni Panteleimonos
Monk Leontios is designated as the founder of the monastery, also known as "Rossikon" (Russian monastery), at the end of the 10th Century, though here and there is mentioned also the year 1030.

Old documents show abbots of various names from the 11th Century.
( Russian-Orthodox; Holiday: 27. July )

Why the monastery in the 12th Century, then abandoned and dilapidated, is unknown. Russian monks who lived in the 11th Century to Mount Athos they probably lived before in the former monastery "Xylurgou".

The Russian monks with their abbot Laurentios received the order that the monastery Panteleimon rebuild. Even today the monastery houses the instrument of the then Protos Ioannes. In the subsequent period Panteleimonos was the most important monastery for the Russians, while this means Xylurgou lost.

In 1309, the monastery burnt by Catalan mercenaries. During the reconstruction of the monastery the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos (1282-1328), receive some privileges to the monastery. In the 14th and 15 Century, it was supported by Serbian and Romanian princes. In the 16th Century, Russian tsars were generous patrons of the monastery.

Because of the political differences between Russia and Turkey, the Russian monks left their monastery in 1735. This was the end of the history of the monastery to its original formation, monastery ruins are still there. Greek monks began at 1765 the construction of the monastery at the place where it is today.

But at 1840 Russian monks went back. From this time the monastery enjoyed a true renaissance and it was almost like a small town. At the end of the 19th Century it had about 1,500 monks, early of the 20th Century, even more than 1,900. The monastery has every year up to 25,000 Russian pilgrims. Once it was one of the richest monasteries on Mount Athos, because it was supported financially from Russia. This changed however with the Russian October Revolution in 1917.

The monastery from then on took no money from home and its property in Russia and Georgia were also seized. This would almost have been its end to the monastic history. Yet somehow the remaining monks managed to keep their convent.

At 1968 a fire destroyed a portion of the building complex.

The most impressive possessions of the monastery is the icon of St. Panteleimon (in which is also dedicated) and a part of the completely covered in gold iconostasis of the monastery church.

The monastery’s subordinates assumed to be the Skit Bogorodica.


01. Moni Megistis Lavra greek-orthodox

02. Moni Vatopediou greek-orthodox

03. Moni Iviron greek-orthodox

04. Moni Chilandariou serbian-orthodox

05. Moni Dionysiou greek-orthodox

06. Moni Koutloumousiou greek-orthodox

07. Moni Pandokratoros greek-orthodox

08. Moni Xiropotamou greek-orthodox

09. Moni Zografou bulgarian-orthodox

10. Moni Dochiariou greek-orthodox

11. Moni Karakalou greek-orthodox

12. Moni Philotheo greek-orthodox

13. Moni Simonos Petras greek-orthodox

14. Moni Agiou Pavlou greek-orthodox

15. Moni Stavronikita greek-orthodox

16. Moni Xenofondos greek-orthodox

17. Moni Osiou Grigoriou greek-orthodox

18. Moni Esfigmenou greek-orthodox

19. Moni Agiou Panteleimonos russ.-orthodox

20. Moni Konstamonitou greek-orthodox