The Monastery Moni Xenofondos
The monastery is situated on the west coast of the peninsula and was founded around 983. It was named after the monk and priest Xenophon.

There are still several documents from the years 998 to 1018, with his signature. He signed those documents at that time as "Xenophon, monk and abbot of the monastery of St. George".
( Greek-Orthodox; Holiday: 23. April )

This is therefore the original name of the monastery and is dedicated to the St. George.

Xenofondos is the first monastery mentioned in the year 1035. The influence of the monastery on the Holy Mountain, grow enormously, in the middle of the 11th Century, initially by the former abbot of the monastery and the Protos of Athos, Byzantine dignitaries Gerasimos.

At 1078 came the Grand Admiral Stephanos, who as a monk changed his name to Symeon. Its contacts with the Byzantine emperor brought to the monastery benefit. But there was a pretty big scandal, because Symeon, was a eunuch. And such a thing was prohibited in the Holy Mountain.

Because the pressure for him was too big, Symeon left Athos at 1081. However, his aim was to remain the abbot of the monastery. In this matter, he was supported by the new Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos (1081-1118).

Another scandal happened, Symeon took three "beardless youths" as servants to stay with him on the Athos. But due to the fact that the former Protos of Athos brought a large sum of money the others "ignore" it.

After the 4th Crusade in 1204 the monastery had a period of crisis, which ended early to mid-14th Century by the emperor's gift. Even in the 15th Century, the future of the monastery looked bleak. This time the rescue came from patrons from Romania.

But there was another crisis:The monastery in the year 1089 had 55 monks, but at 1744 there were only four.

The new main church of the monastery is the largest Greek Orthodox to Athos, and has two mosaic icons of the 12th Century, showing the Holy Dimitrios and Georgios. A cycle of frescoes from the 16th Century is also interesting. The old Katholikon is still preserved and contains many paintings of the Cretan painter Antonio from the middle of the 16th Century.

The monastery was unfortunately the victim of numerous fires. Meanwhile it has been almost completely rebuilt.

The monastery’s subordinate is the Skit Evangelismu.

The "Deutsche Gramophone" published at 1996, a CD of liturgical music of the Holy Monastery.



01. Moni Megistis Lavra greek-orthodox

02. Moni Vatopediou greek-orthodox

03. Moni Iviron greek-orthodox

04. Moni Chilandariou serbian-orthodox

05. Moni Dionysiou greek-orthodox

06. Moni Koutloumousiou greek-orthodox

07. Moni Pandokratoros greek-orthodox

08. Moni Xiropotamou greek-orthodox

09. Moni Zografou bulgarian-orthodox

10. Moni Dochiariou greek-orthodox

11. Moni Karakalou greek-orthodox

12. Moni Philotheo greek-orthodox

13. Moni Simonos Petras greek-orthodox

14. Moni Agiou Pavlou greek-orthodox

15. Moni Stavronikita greek-orthodox

16. Moni Xenofondos greek-orthodox

17. Moni Osiou Grigoriou greek-orthodox

18. Moni Esfigmenou greek-orthodox

19. Moni Agiou Panteleimonos russ.-orthodox

20. Moni Konstamonitou greek-orthodox