The Monastery Moni Philotheou
The monastery is situated on 533 meters altitude on the eastern foothills, south of the capital caries. It is framed by a chestnut wood.

About its foundation we almost don’t know anything. It has been confirmed in a written notice from the year 1015 as well as in a deed from the year 1021. While in the first two centuries of its existence it didn’t has no special significance to the Holy Mountain that had changed in the 14 Century.
( Greek-Orthodox; Holiday: 25. March )

At the time it took patrons from the house of the emperor and later the Prince of Serbia. The result was the influx of Serbian and Bulgarian monks in quite large numbers. Ιn the 16th Century, almost the entire monastery destroyed by a fire. Another fire was at 1871.

Except from the refectory of the 16th Century, the Katholikon of 1746 and the library the entire convent was almost destroyed. Most of today's buildings date from the 18th Century.

The biggest treasure of the monastery is the icon Glykophilusa, a representation of the Virgin Mary having Jesus in her arms and kissing him. This portrait is one of the oldest to Athos.


01. Moni Megistis Lavra greek-orthodox

02. Moni Vatopediou greek-orthodox

03. Moni Iviron greek-orthodox

04. Moni Chilandariou serbian-orthodox

05. Moni Dionysiou greek-orthodox

06. Moni Koutloumousiou greek-orthodox

07. Moni Pandokratoros greek-orthodox

08. Moni Xiropotamou greek-orthodox

09. Moni Zografou bulgarian-orthodox

10. Moni Dochiariou greek-orthodox

11. Moni Karakalou greek-orthodox

12. Moni Philotheo greek-orthodox

13. Moni Simonos Petras greek-orthodox

14. Moni Agiou Pavlou greek-orthodox

15. Moni Stavronikita greek-orthodox

16. Moni Xenofondos greek-orthodox

17. Moni Osiou Grigoriou greek-orthodox

18. Moni Esfigmenou greek-orthodox

19. Moni Agiou Panteleimonos russ.-orthodox

20. Moni Konstamonitou greek-orthodox