The Monastery Moni Chilandariou
The monastery was founded around 1197, is the land border between the worldly republic and the monks republic. It lies like a fortress in the valley.

As the founder is Rastko, a son of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Nemanja. He had secretly gone to Athos as a monk Savas to live. First, in the Panteleimon monastery, then in the monastery Vatopedi. At 1197 his father followed him to the Holy Mountain. Together, they wanted to establish their own convent at the north of the peninsula.
( Serbian-Orthodox; Holiday: 21. November )

These were the remnants of a monastery that around the year 1000 was found by Georgios Chelantaris. This was first mentioned in 1015. On its walls the two monks built now their new convent, which has the name that has retained until today.

Savas later left the Athos in 1220 and became the first Archbishop of the independent Serbs and is therefore considered the founder of the independence Church of Serbia. The monastery, however, was given in the following centuries steadily donations from home, and his position as the center of the Serbian Orthodox piety strengthened.

It has a collection of old icons, a beautiful altar book and several valuable crystal vessels, all from the 14th Century. The church is decorated with frescoes from 1320 and from the year 1623 designed into Serbian style.

In 1722, approximately two thirds of the monastic buildings were on flames. Another major fire in 1891 destroyed large parts of the monastery. But at 1896 King Alexander the I, first ruler of the Kingdom of Serbia, come to the monastery, had the money and the Serbian monks start the reconstruction.

On the night of 6 on 7 March 2004, however, valuable wall paintings from the 18th and 19 Century again come on flames. Many icons, manuscripts and frescoes couldn’t be saved, the material damage was nearly 10 million euros, from the idealistic side do not talk.

In addition, the monks had to leave the monastery because of the fire up to half of it had been destroyed. Serbia and the Serbian Orthodox Church restored the monastery. The Trapeza and the Katholikon in the southern part of that fire were spared.

Including a splinter from the cross of Christ, a piece of reed, with which the vinegar-soaked sponge was served to Jesus, as well as the Shroud of the crucified (although in Turin have one also). Also there are over 20,000 printing and nearly 1,000 manuscripts, as well as over 400 original documents, testify the history of the monastery.



01. Moni Megistis Lavra greek-orthodox

02. Moni Vatopediou greek-orthodox

03. Moni Iviron greek-orthodox

04. Moni Chilandariou serbian-orthodox

05. Moni Dionysiou greek-orthodox

06. Moni Koutloumousiou greek-orthodox

07. Moni Pandokratoros greek-orthodox

08. Moni Xiropotamou greek-orthodox

09. Moni Zografou bulgarian-orthodox

10. Moni Dochiariou greek-orthodox

11. Moni Karakalou greek-orthodox

12. Moni Philotheo greek-orthodox

13. Moni Simonos Petras greek-orthodox

14. Moni Agiou Pavlou greek-orthodox

15. Moni Stavronikita greek-orthodox

16. Moni Xenofondos greek-orthodox

17. Moni Osiou Grigoriou greek-orthodox

18. Moni Esfigmenou greek-orthodox

19. Moni Agiou Panteleimonos russ.-orthodox

20. Moni Konstamonitou greek-orthodox